Thursday, June 18, 2009

Sleepy Times With Sweet E

Sweet E made the transition to a "big girl" bed a few weeks ago. She had become afraid of sleeping in her crib after she had been sick one night and threw up in her crib. She would always cry, "me frow up me frow up" when we tried to lay her down at night. So it was time to make a change....even though I did not want it to happen yet....I wanted to still pretend she was a baby. So that brings us to the big girl bed....since we live in tight quarters Mr.C and Sweet E share a room. It is a tricky balance....Mr. C is afraid of the dark, and Sweet E can't sleep without it completely dark. However different their sleeping needs they have one need that remains the same....they need their daddy to sing and play the guitar to them. Big B likes the trade, he gets to spend some time practicing his skills while he lulls his children to sleep. However, with summer the kiddos have gotten to stay up later....mainly due to the fact that the sun is still up at the time they used to go to bed. So Sweet E has been having a rough time working out her schedule. She has been taking longer later naps, and thus does not want to go to bed at night.

Tonight Big B played the kiddos the list of songs and Mr.C was out. When he looked over at Sweet E she had tucked all of her dollies into her bed and was sitting up and smiled, "one more song daddy?" Sweet E has her daddy wrapped around her little finger, so of course he gave into her request. However, an hour later Sweet E is in the bathroom. When she won't go to bed she gets put in the bathroom, in the dark, with the door open....she sits on the closed toilet until she is ready to go to bed. As I mentioned before our house is tiny....so there really is no where else to put her that is "boring". Some nights she will sit in there for nearly an hour (I go check on her every few minutes and ask her if she is ready for bed). Tonight however, I was working on some stuff in my room and I hear a sweet little voice coming from the bathroom...."one more song." I went in to check on her and she said, "go night night, one more song." So I went and got Big B and told him that she wanted one more song and then she would go to bed. So he once again obliged. He took her into her room, tucked her in, and sang his special song to her. It was quiet....the door began to shut....then out of the darkened room came "me going to frow up". Thank goodness she has not honed her brother's skills of throwing up on demand. A quick, "you are fine" and she closed her eyes and drifted off to dream land. It would not be so bad.....if it were not for the fact that Mr. C wakes up so early....if the sun is up, he is up! No wonder I always feel so tired!

No comments: